• Home
  • |
  • About Us
  • |
  • Contact Us
  • |
  • Login
  • Subscribe

Kishtwar Cloudburst Authorities confirm 46 deaths; 21 identified, over 100 injured

Jammu, Aug 15 (UNI) The authorities on Friday confirmed 46 casualties, including two CISF personnel, in the cloudburst-hit Chositi village of Paddar in the Kishtwar district of Jammu and Kashmir.

"So far 46 people have been declared as dead, and out of them 21 have been identified," officials said.

They said that more than 100 people are injured, and 51 with severe injuries are shifted to the Government Medical College and Hospital Jammu, adding, "Nearly 165 people are rescued while the search and rescue operation is underway to trace around 65 persons missing as per their relatives."

Officials stated that 21 bodies are identified with the help of social media, adding, "The help desk centre has also been established in Paddar to share information with the relatives and family members of those missing."

Prime Minister Narendra Modi today also spoke to the Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha and Chief Minister Omar Abdullah to take a review on the situation.

"Spoke to Jammu and Kashmir LG, Manoj Sinha, and CM Omar Abdullah regarding the situation in the wake of the cloudburst and flooding in Kishtwar. Authorities are working on the ground to assist those affected," PM Modi posted on X.

Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh, who is also the Member of Parliament from the Kathua-Udhampur Constituency, is expected to visit the Chositi village.

However, teams of specialised doctors from PGI Chandigarh are also reaching the Chositi village, officials stated.

They said that 16 houses and government complexes, three temples, water mills, one bridge and around 20 vehicles were also damaged in the flash flood.

As many as 46 persons, including two CISF personnel, have died after a massive cloudburst hit the remote village of Chositi in Kishtwar district on Thursday.

As the annual pilgrimage to Shri Machail Mata in Paddar was underway, the devotees were halted at the Chositi village—the last point of the yatra trek—for a community kitchen when the tragedy occurred.

The Machail Yatra, which commenced on July 25 and was scheduled to end on September 5, has also been suspended due to cloudburst, they added.

The 8.5 kilometre trek to the 9,500-feet-high shrine begins from Chositi.

Officials said that the teams of SDRF, NDRF, Police, Army along with locals, are carrying out the rescue operation.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah had cancelled the ‘At Home’ tea party and cultural events during Independence Day celebrations on Friday following the loss of lives in a cloudburst.

“In light of the tragedy caused by the cloudburst in Kishtwar, I have taken the decision to cancel the ‘At Home’ tea party," he said in a post on X.

UNI VBH ARN